Some forum changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Strigidae, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Nothings happened.

2. Strigidae

Also an acceptable apparel choice for signing snow.

3. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

@Strigidae's point is related to a measuring stick that folks with common sense will understand. This is a forum where our adventures are shared and as a parent, certainly agree with the thoughts on parenting.

With the advent of IG and Facebook, outdoor forums have lost touch with those core elements that we all enjoy like @ManOfSteel s fab projects, the @Bcamos farm equipment destruction, @Delkancott's real work that puts us to shame or the firearm's updates with @VolGrad to name a few. There are many members on this forum who bust their hump daily with activities that truly define survival and real world skills that are absent for most. Many people can whittle a stick but few have the abilities of some of our members here.

It would be beneficial for all to share these experiences.

4. Strigidae

You are speaking your mind and i appreciate and get it.

ManOfSteel and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  5. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Kid friendly or family friendly does not have to mean boring, it just means that we don't have to make a parent's job harder by posting stuff that the parent has to censor all the time. Kids grow up too quick as it is and saddling them with subjects and visuals that they are not equipped to carry doesn't do them any favors. Life will force it on them soon enough.

Corrie Ten Boom, in her book "The Hiding Place", tells a story of when she was a youngster she had asked her father a question that dealt with sexuality, even though at the time Corrie did not understand that it dealt with sexuality, "sexsin" she called it. Her father thought for a few minutes then asked her if she could carry his tool box for him. She tried to pick it up, but told him that it was too heavy for her. He told her that he would not be a good father if he asked her to carry that burden when she was not strong enough. He would carry it for her. The same went for knowledge. "Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you."

6. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Well, since we're being so honest here.... I asked Patrick Rollins why he doesn't participate more on this forum with all the knowledge he has to bring to the table. He told me didn't want to deal with all the sheep jokes and BS that gets put in the middle of a serious thread. Granted, I'm the worst at sidetracking a thread and making everything a joke, so a lot of this rests solely on my shoulders, but I think it's a shame when the nature of this forum keeps good talent away from it.

7. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

If managed correctly, I think this could be an elite group of experts that freely share knowledge with folks that just want to learn or progress in particular skills. This is a place to learn and share learning experiences.
    This is a good thing guys.

8. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I dont really post anything that I wouldn't show my kids(or anyone else's kids) anyway so this doesnt really change things for me, but I will add to DJ's post and maybe give a perspective that has not yet been considered...Jeff and Crew have given us a place to hang out, share experiences, sell our wares (for free) and just be around like-minded people. Sadly a few people took that freedom a little too far and the some changes had to be made...So be it, let's adjust and move on.....but remember this...What we post and do on this forum is a direct representation of ESEE. This is Jeff's, Wendy's, Mikes, and many others jobs,livelihoods, and reputations on the line here (and Mike doesnt need any help in that department lol). If you owned a company, would you want to possibly stake the reputation of your business on how people conduct themselves on an internet forum? I surely wouldn't....But Jeff does so that we may have a place to gather. To All who are still here: we've made it this far, why walk away now. We've made friendships and acquaintances that are more important than being able to post something that some may deem inappropriate...maybe Strig chose the wrong way to word his posting advice...how about dont post anything you wouldn't post on your own employer's (or company you own) website....???

I'm gonna get real for a second (as opposed to how fake i usually am lol)....
    Please guys just take a breath and think about how you react to things. I dont have any knife-loving friends or people who love the outdoors like us, or even know what the word Bushcraft is (please let's not talk about its true definition though lol)...Most of my family thinks I'm weird or silly because of how prepared I always am or how much I love knives...I come here to be with people who understand me, accept me and can bond over similar experiences... I dont come here to see posts about sheep shagging (first time I've ever even mentioned it actually) or see boob memes. I could care less about what you post, I'm not judging. If I dont like a post I dont read it...I care about the friends I've made, hearing about someone's day hike, seeing another knife someone bought I can't afford lol, or yet again answering the question what the bestest most awesomest sharpest survival knife is.....It's already saddened me greatly to see how quiet its gotten around here and to think about all those that left....please don't let this push you away or allow you to say something you will regret....
    Ok realness over...

Edit to add....i started posting this before Jeff posted... I'm just a slow swiper

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Lockster, Redbear, chorpie and 10 others like this.
  9. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

Couldn't have said it better myself, I've spent time on blade forums, and bush craft usa but I always end up back here because while all those other places have great info, it usually comes at the cost of majorly pretentious attitudes or just lack of real community

10. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Oh crap....@RedEyedHog wants this to be an ELITE GROUP OF EXPERTS.... I guess I'm out...see ya guys

11. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Even in an elite neighborhood, there is always one house with a car up on blocks. You and I can be that car.

12. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Very well put and I totally agree! I left when a large group "rode off into the sunset" over a year ago and have been active where they all went. While there's some REALLY good folks on that other forum, it's just not this place, doesn't have the outdoorsiness or the folks that actually get out and put there gear to use. I missed that a lot so I came back here. It does sadden me seeing the activity level being as low as it is as compared to a year ago, but it's still got a theme and knowledge base in the membership I haven't seen elsewhere.

As mentioned in @Strigidae's first post, "silliness" can still occur just keep it in general discussions if I understand him correctly.

Strigidae, Zeek and OutdoorsFamilyMan like this.
  13. Black5

Black5 Member

If y'all think expecting me to behave is going to run me off, you're wrong.
    I play a respected professional for a living. I can blend in with any of you. Well...not the experts...or the Canadians...but somebody has to be the stupid newb with questions, so it may as well be me.

14. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

I also said “folks that just want to learn or progress in a particular skills.” I mostly said that to include @Expat and I. One big happy all inclusive family.

15. Black5

Black5 Member

Do i have to change my avatar now?

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

...yes this.... and I am as guilty as many here, but this is about limiting OUR gibberish ;) to the GD section and hopefully giving the other areas a chance to grow and be more relevant. This is a great forum with a great bunch of people, but we need to police ourselves a little if we want other like minded yet with different views and perspectives (yes folks who don't see the humor in a sheep joke in serious thread !) to sign up, share some knowledge and adventures and most importantly, hang around. The small chance (limiting or BS to one area) is not about driving anyone off, it is about bringing in and keeping more people around.

17. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

It would be nice to get Patrick more involved on here. I'm really enjoying the YouTube videos he's doing for Esee at the moment. He comes over really well on them.
    I personally don't like all the sheep jokes, it's childish and wears thin real quick (do we need a mod with a sheep shagin avatar?) However I do like the humor that gets put into most threads from time to time. I guess it's about knowing when to stop and keeping it respectful. Lots of people can't do that in real life so it's going to be hard for them to do that on the internet.

18. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

You clearly posted before you looked at my updated Av... but sure point taken.

The Marsh Gorilla and Reno Lewis like this.
  19. Black5

Black5 Member

I now have a non controversial avatar...doesn't mean I'll keep it..But I'll give it a try.
    I was told my BCUSA avatar was creepy...imagine that..

20. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I spotted it this morning and i'm liking it!!