Shooting Review & Tips

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Delkancott, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I’m not a proud man and I need help with my shooting, particularly with my pistol shooting.

Any advice, tips, links and recommendations would be great. I’m making a point to shoot more now and will post up my results after I do. I’d hope others will do the same.

Here’s today’s target from 4-8 yards shooting roughly 50 rounds of 115g 9mm from my Glock 43. I did notice my shooting was better with the pinky extension magazine, but it was all low and to the left of center.

83CA2793-9A90-4536-8EA4-F836904729E8.jpeg

2. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Any advice??
    OK aim for their left shouldero_O OR get a 1911:D

Delkancott and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I want to say low and left is trigger control? Its been a long time since ive seen the chart that is suppose to help with that. Honestly the best thing i ever did was go see a professional shooter to help me. I still suck but i suck less.

4. Charlie Delta

Charlie Delta Member

I have the same issue myself. Recently saw in this video it may be recoil anticipation. Not sure how to fix it though.

Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  5. Rich275

Rich275 Member

For a right handed shooter, shooting low and left is anticipation and jerking the trigger.
    The sights are aligned and the shooter wants the gun to fire "now," jerking the trigger at the last moment.
    Try this. Line up the sights and pull the trigger half way, then half of that, etc. until the gun fires.
    Lots of slow dry fire can help also.

KMCMICHAEL likes this.
  6. Rich275

Rich275 Member

7. Zeek

Zeek Member

Pay attention to where the trigger is on the pad of your finger, see link here.

Try dry firing with your eyes closed... ha ha...:rolleyes: for real and focus on trigger feel/reset/control.

Focus on your front sight.

Yeah, don't listen to me... probably best to seek professional help. :D

Delkancott and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  8. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

I'm no expert, but if your shots are low & left then you're jerking the trigger (assuming you're a right handed shooter). Practice, paying attention to a nice smooth pull, is the solution. Dry fire practice is fine, and in fact can help break the habit since there is no recoil. I've even heard of putting a coin on top of the slide and dry firing. With a nice smooth pull the coin should stay put. Any jerking and the coin falls off.

Another possibility is that you have too much finger in the trigger guard. Example would be the trigger is around the area of your top knuckle. If this is the case you pull the gun off line a little when you squeeze the trigger. The trigger should be centered on the pad at the tip of your finger so your trigger pull is straight back.

If you have access to a good .22 pistol or even a quality pellet pistol you can get a lot of real trigger time in on the cheap, and then switch over to larger calibers once warmed up.

Zeek and Delkancott like this.
  9. ny700

ny700 Member

There are few pistol shooting issues I’ve seen that have not largely been corrected by addressing the grip

Even issues with anticipation are often cured or minimized through a better grip allowing better recoil management.

Shooting a small frame pistol like that immediately adds a few issues. Depending on the size of your hands getting a strong consistent grip can be challenging. The reduced sight radius exacerbated inconsistency and it’s snappier on recoil.

Generally I would to really concentrate on a thumbs toward grip.

I often have an issue going high and left. I’ve noticed that my grip is uneven. With the pistol pointing down and the heal to my chest as I point the pistol toward and extend my arms I see I often present the pistol slightly cocked to the left. Check your positioning and I would watch a few of the Travis Haley videos on pistol grip. His recoil management is fantastic!

The Marsh Gorilla and Delkancott like this.
  10. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

I'm new, too, and my friend told me the same thing - I'm jerking the trigger and anticipating the bang. Same issue, low and to the left. They're trying to work on my trigger pull, but I guess it will come with practice.
    It's on the door to my room for any would-be intruders. I'm not a great shot by any means, but I live in a 10' by 10' tiny room, so I'm more than confident at that range, haha.
    1217171907_HDR.jpg

11. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I made it back out to the manure pile today for some more shooting. Was terrible light and almost dark but I shot almost 100 rounds of 9mm and a couple dozen .22

Ignoring the .22 holes you can see some really terrible shots low left in the first two pictures. After a real bad start I focued on grip, keeping my eyes on the front sight (which was dirty) and pulling the trigger halfway and halfway and halfway until bang.

Looking at the third picture I think I start to see improvement. These were all at 10 yards with the same Glock 43.

4CCF7B75-FCB6-4E7D-AF1E-EA736C9A26B6.jpeg B7539FCF-10E6-4620-A96D-CFA1DB4B0DD1.jpeg

AE4E1E44-DB96-4308-9D02-C7C09FDCFB53.jpeg

SC864 and Zeek like this.
  12. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Gradually increase pressure on the trigger and allow the gun to go off.

The gun makes a loud noise and recoils in your direction. It is natural for your body to flinch when things do this. Your ancestors on the plains of Africa ran away from the saber tooth tiger because it made a loud noise and came at them. Those that did not run away became catshit and did not pass on their genes.

All humans flinch. The way to avoid this is to gradually increase pressure on the trigger and allow the gun to go off.

BTW if anyone on here wants a basic handgun lesson and is near Dallas, it will cost you lunch.

13. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

I live in Dallas. I don't know if I want a lesson, but let's go shoot sometime.

14. Zeek

Zeek Member

Wow... that's a hell of an offer. Wish I lived nearby.

15. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

This is what my friends made me do to curb flinching: I shoot one shot, then dryfire 5 times, the shoot a live round again, then 5 dryfires, etc. The dryfires put your mind at ease, and after a while, the flinching subsides.

Delkancott likes this.
  16. Zeek

Zeek Member

There have been days when I take both my short barrel 357 mag SP101 and my Glock 19 out. I shoot the SP101 with some full house loads first then switch to the G19. This really makes the G19 feel like shooting a 22.

17. Zeek

Zeek Member

Last target looks pretty good to me, especially depending upon how fast you were shooting... I like to shoot fast. Are you still running with the stock sights?

Delkancott likes this.
  18. Rich275

Rich275 Member

Del,
    Go back about 15 yards from the target and repeat what you did above. 15 yards will give you a better idea of where you are grouping your shots. If after making finger adjustments and working the trigger correctly, your shots are still left, you may need to knock the sights over a bit.
    Low and left is jerking the trigger for a righty.

Delkancott likes this.
  19. lcmcrumley

lcmcrumley Member

20. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

@Zeek I am still using the stock sights which I don't care for. Doesn't help that the front one was muddied up and I didn't realize it.

Regarding dry firing, is there a way to do so w/o racking the each time or is that just a silly question?

Zeek likes this.