SSS - Slade's Blades Sharpening Service

Discussion in 'For Sale / Trade' started by Slade, Mar 10, 2017.

?

Have I met, exceeded or failed to meet your expectations on a sharpening order.

1. My expectations were surpassed

75.0%
  2. I had high expectations and you fulfilled them completely

25.0%
  3. My expectations were not met and I was unhappy with the edge I recieved

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I have placed a sharpening order and I look forward to seeing the result

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Slade

Slade Member

I have created a poll to be used as a feedback system. If the system is abused, I will remove it. Please do not vote if I have not sharpened a blade for you or loaned you one of my sharpened blades to play with. If you are unhappy with the sharpening I provided you, dialogue/feedback would be very much appreciated. I mean, you would want your money back right?

My sharpening will meet or exceed your expectations or your money back. I have sharpened numerous knives for numerous members and have only had positive feedback both short and long term.

Handling & Payment

• Turnaround is fast. Generally one week or less including return shipping from when I receive the knife, it will be safely back to you with a fresh edge. This could be slowed if there are delays from you in answering questions that come up about preferences on sharpening.
    • Payment expected in advance of return shipping. Cash, check, PayPal, Square Cash, Venmo all accepted.
    Sharpening

• My specialty is convex edge work with any edge angle and finish from toothy to polished up to 0.5 micron CBN or most anywhere in between. These can be maintained most easily by a simple stropping, which is the most forgiving form of edge maintenance.
    • $15 for the first edge and $10 for each additional edge plus shipping.
    • I don't offer true flat scandi grind sharpening. It's too much work. I can do a mean scandivex though at a convex price. It is possible that the flat of the blade can be scratched/rounded near the start of the bevel during scandivex sharpening.
    • I don't do serrations. I just can't offer the quality on them that I can with a real edge.
    • $2 off for each knife I have sharpened previously and on easy jobs. Since ESEE knives are well designed to be maintained and 1095 is amazing stuff, most ESEE knives will receive this discount. Lots of damage to an edge would change this.
    Shipping

• Includes tracking and backed with up to $100 of my own money against the value of the knife/knives.
    • Prices at USPS commercial base price. Cheaper than retail service. Expect most full size fixed blades to be around $8 and packages under a pound to be more like $5.
    • I will do my best to get you the best price possible. I am in central Ohio and addresses near me may be eligible for lower rates.
    EDITED PRICING FOR 2022

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  2. Slade

Slade Member

To make the start official, I am including a free sharpened pairing knife for the first customers until I run out.

Dagwood and Zeek like this.
  3. Slade

Slade Member

Reserved for pictures if I ever figure out how to take good ones.

Zeek likes this.
  4. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

Bro your edges are top notch. I hope this kicks off well for you

Zeek and Slade like this.
  5. Black Train

Black Train Member

This man has cost me a lot of money. I have purchased several expensive sharpening systems and stones in an effort to replicate the edges he can produce. I can not.

Slade, YN*Dotte and Zeek like this.
  6. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Great edge, holds up well. Slade is awesome to deal with! Piss on sharpening myself I'll maintain them but when it's time they go to Slade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Slade, mwramos76 and Zeek like this.
  7. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Which reminds me I need to send you my 6 for sharpening.

Kaw-liga, Slade and mwramos76 like this.
  8. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Dagwood and Slade like this.
  9. scout1sg

scout1sg Member

Very fair sharpening costs there, you should look into the regional rate boxes (if not already thought of) if you have a USPS account. They offer both an "A" size and a "B" size in two configurations of each and are much more reasonable than their flat rate costs but you have to order in the boxes which are free anyhow and of course there is no costs to have the USPS account. You can ship the regional rate boxes all across the country. The envelopes are certainly more affordable but the regional rates would certainly help you out when having to ship a box or requested from the customer.

Slade likes this.
  10. Slade

Slade Member

I appreciate the tip. I certainly ship regional when it's beneficial. I try not to use flat rate boxes unless it's something really heavy or an expensive shipping zone. You aren't required to have the regional boxes to get the rates as long as you aren't using flat rate. :) inusually find decent shipping rates.

Zeek likes this.
  11. scout1sg

scout1sg Member

Yeh I used to ship my own sized boxes for years due to being cheaper than the flat rate boxes. I was just surprised one time awhile back when I found out I could ship a regional rate box cheaper than the smallest flat rate boxes and ship items much larger such as longer fixed blades, gear items, etc. Of course when they took the discount away from us having the USPS accounts it certainly didn't help. I'm going to go through some of my knives as I may have a few blades that could prob use some of your work, I've acquired a couple where the blades were rounded or blunted a bit at the tip and has intimidated me to work on as I don't want to remove more material than would be necessary.

Slade likes this.
  12. Slade

Slade Member

I am happy to do tip repair. I have done it numerous times. I can't put metal back on obviously, but I can remove only what is necessary.

scout1sg and Zeek like this.
  13. Slade

Slade Member

I never remember to take before pictures, but @Bobo03 had a picture in his for sale add. :) it was a stock used LT edge. A bad picture from me, but I think the difference is visible.

Before
    [​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Andris94, Mike Smith, Dagwood and 2 others like this.
  14. Zeek

Zeek Member

I have hundreds of dollars worth of knife sharpening stuff... no joke. I'm an engineer of sorts so kind of have a clue about what it should take to sharpen a 'simple' knife. I can't do it... I give up!!! It's O.K. I don't even care anymore. I will wait till I need a least a couple sharpened, then send them to @Slade

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  15. Slade

Slade Member

Deleted

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Zeek and mwramos76 like this.
  16. Grog

Grog Member

Slade is an awesome dude and sent me one of his knives purely to check out, a Fiddleback Forge Bushfinger. I've kept it way too long, I love it. He didn't sharpen it for me but he sharpened it and sent it to me so I'll include myself in this thing. I can put a fine edge on a knife with my KME but Slade does something special. I dunno what it is, but it's better than what I do. I don't consider a knife sharp until it whittles phonebook paper, Ehran has a much higher metric. To top it off, he is a great guy to take a minute to talk to, he has a heck of a lot of knowledge rattling around in that nugget of his.

mwramos76, Zeek and Slade like this.
  17. Slade

Slade Member

I appreciate the kind words Dan. We pass knives back and forth regularly, and I've also had his 1111 too long. I liked what my KME offered a lot when I got it, but have since found that I strongly prefer a clean convex. I've also learned that a guided sharpeneing system is actually very limited in that it locks you into an angle.

I am just sending a 51200 Military back to 91bravo today. He was sharpening it and realized the bevels were very short in the middle. It was very thin in the center behind the edge so the bevel was flaring out in the heel and the tip pretty shockingly. It was half as tall in the middle, especially on the lock side. He had asked that I put it on the guided system and even it out because he thought he was doing something wrong. He wasn't. The blade is only 0.35mm thick in the middle and its 0.65 at the tip and near the plunge grind. Ended up calling him and having a conversation since I knew putting it in the guided system would only make it worse. Unfortunately that 0.3mm difference is almost entirely on one side so completely fixing it would have required a primary regrind, but I made it visually very close. Something I certainly could not have done on the KME. As a side note, spyderco's 51200 is amazing stuff. That knife is as mirror polished as it could be and was able to get sharper than many other steels I have worked with. Spyderco's sprint runs are usually very good making this one a bit unusual, but uneven grinds are a lot more common than you would think. At a stock angle of 22DPS, it isn't always easy to see, but as soon as you go putting something like a 17DPS convex polished edge on them, it shows itself.

You can see it visually in the reflection of light after I wiped it down with tuf cloth.

[​IMG]

Mike Smith, Dagwood, Grog and 2 others like this.
  18. Slade

Slade Member

Mike Smith, Dagwood and Zeek like this.
  19. Zeek

Zeek Member

20. Zeek

Zeek Member